Last week while serving dinner with a team of volunteers for Spreading Sunshine at LeBonheur Children’s Hospital, I met a young mom whose face is etched in my memory. I don’t know her name. I don’t know her child’s name. I don’t know what was wrong with her child. I don’t know where she was from.
I do know she was VERY happy to have Moe’s Southwest Grill for dinner. I do know she had a weary look on her face. We had a brief conversation while she was getting her food. She was so appreciative for the meal. She shared how much she enjoys Moe’s food but didn’t know there was one in Memphis. She shared that she’s from out of town and has been at the hospital for three months with her child. THREE MONTHS!! As she came to the end of the line she again said how thankful she was for the meal.
I was UNDONE!
It’s likely I’ll never see this woman again. In that brief encounter she taught me an important lesson — simple acts of kindness touch people’s lives. She was one of several families we served dinner to that night and each one has their story.
Birthday Project #1 was definitely a memory maker. It was so much fun to celebrate by giving back with a group of friends!!
- Thank you LeBonheur and Timorie for allowing us to serve.
- Thank you Moe’s Southwest Grill for the amazing food
- Thank you to several donors who covered the cost of the meal. Spreading Sunshine received $345 in donations for the meal and the bill was $350.
- THANK YOU to Suzanne, Leigh and Holly for donated drinks, desserts and paper products
- THANK YOU to Abigail, Kellee and Tony; and also, Kathy, Treyve and McKenzie from Bolton Links of Luv for serving dinner and showing such love, kindness and compassion to families
In a couple of days I’ll be sharing about Birthday Project #2.